For Blog #13, explore the idea of the “American Dream”. This should serve as a reflection of who you are now and who you wish to become- hey, we’re studying the 1920s; in that spirit, let’s be optimistic. It would also be wise to consider culture, social values, etc. Remember, we’re thinking about TEXTS and CONTEXTS for this part of the course.
To help you get started, here are four guiding questions:
1. How would you describe the “American Dream?”
The american dream is that you are able to work hard to attain anything you want. The idea is that nothing about your origins should affect what you are able to accomplish in your life. Obviously, some people will be born with advantages, whether they are genetic advantages that come into play for sports or being born into a influence family that could affect your chances of succeeding in business,but they aren't required for success. The whole idea is that you can get anything you want. It may be incredibly hard and it may be easier for other people but it is still attainable for everyone. Whatever makes you happy is in your reach.
2. What is your definition of wealth?
To me wealth is strictly monetary possessions but I feel like this question is asking about a more holistic view of "wealth". This holistic view takes into account family, friends, happiness and generally feeling like you lead a full life. To me that is not having wealth, that is having a good life or a full life or something like that, but not a wealthy life. Ultimately, Wealth is the sum total in dollars of everything you own to an unbiased person (meaning that you may value your grandmothers ring much more than it is actually worth because of the added sentimental value it has and that should not be taken into account).
3. What are Americans’ attitudes toward wealth and poverty?
First, american's attitude to wealth. To me, Americans see wealth as one of the most important things. Rich people are idolized and the power of the dollar is drilled into our heads from birth. I think that this attitude is linked closely to materialism. We see ourselves only as important as the things we own. As if having a brand new iPhone or car makes you a better and more likable person. I don't really know why this is such a prevalent idea in America and really the world in general. It could be because most people are now well fed and own land we have to find new things that are exclusive. New ways for the elite to make themselves look better than us.
Now, poverty. Poverty is obviously looked down upon by most people. If you're visibly poor, like homeless poor, people on the streets and shop owners probably aren't going to like you. I think this is because the people on the street see that you are a person just like them and that scares them. You being homeless makes them realize that there is nothing keeping them from being right there with you if they get fired. This constant warning is not a pleasant one and so the homeless are shunning. Homeless people looking and smelling bad and having nothing to lose and therefore being more likely to mug someone probably doesn't help the normal people to homeless people relationship.
4. What is your attitude toward wealth and poverty?
Money is important to me but I don't think it is above everything for me. I don't want to be poor and not be able to do things that I want to because I don't have the money to do it(Who would want that?), but I would not sacrifice my happiness for money. I think that my driving force in what I want to do with my life is that I want to have a job that is hard. I want to be challenged and doing things that aren't easy. Money is normally a good gauge of the difficulty of the job (Teaching of course being an exception :P) and so money is what I want in my life but not because I want to be rich. Being rich isn't the driving factor in my decisions but it sure would be a cool side effect. Money isn't valuable to me because of what it can do, it is valuable because I was able to earn it.
This all relates to the text were looking at because Gatsby lives a life of luxury and doesn't really seem to care about money and that was the goal of the times.
No comments:
Post a Comment